Position: Chief Financial Officer
Hours per week: 40
Overtime Status: Exempt
Position Summary: The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) is responsible for all aspects of the financial operations for The Sentry. Reporting directly to the executive director, the CFO provides strategic accounting and budget oversight and support for The Sentry’s programs, grants, and activities. This team member will manage The Sentry’s compliance program for US and foreign government funding and is responsible for managing expense allocations to the organization’s portfolio of grants. The CFO serves as an active member of the management team in helping to develop and implement The Sentry’s vision and mission.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
– Actively manage the day-to-day accounting and financial operations of The Sentry.
– Lead the budgeting process for the organization, individual programs, grants, and departments including the preparation of budget revisions as necessary.
– Prepare, analyze and present monthly financial reports, forecasts, and cashflow projections for The Sentry with reporting by program and grant.
– Report on financial status and issues to the executive director and to the board of directors.
– Oversee and review the preparation of all program financial reporting required for funding sources.
– Oversee The Sentry’s banking activities and actively manage cashflow between investment and checking accounts.
– Manage the receipt of payments from funding sources, including notification of the development team.
– Manage accounting control systems to ensure the accurate and timely production of financial reports.
– Monitor changes in legal, regulatory and administrative context and implement updated procedures as needed to maintain compliance while maximizing operational and financial results.
– Serve as The Sentry’s primary liaison with its independent auditor to ensure the annual audit is completed smoothly and in a timely manner.
– Construct process and compliance improvements as necessary to equip The Sentry for federal grant and sub-grant funding applications.
– Manage deliverable tracking in support of federal grants as necessary.
– Advise on operational, administrative, and strategic functions as a member of the leadership team.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics:
The CFO will have at least eight years of relevant professional experience, including managing the finance and administration of a high-growth $5 million to $7 million organization (preference given to nonprofit experience). They will have experience creating and driving the analytic framework for planning and managing finances in a complex international organization.
The CFO will have the following experience and attributes:
– Bachelor’s degree (MA/MBA preferred) in Business, Management, or Finance.
– Excellent people skills, with experience collaborating in a multidisciplinary, diverse, and dynamic team.
– Demonstrated experience in financial management and accounting, ideally in the nonprofit sector.
– Experience interfacing with and presenting to boards of directors and donors.
– Experience managing audits, compliance programs, budget construction, and resource development.
– Demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities, proposing new ways of creating efficiencies, and guiding investment in people and systems.
– Experience managing a compliance program for US government funding.
– Proven effectiveness leading professionals in finance and accounting.
– Flexible and a self-starter; able to multitask while also being highly detail-oriented.
– Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to The Sentry’s mission.
– Certified Public Accountant designation a plus.
Salary Range: $120,000 – $180,000
Benefits: Comprehensive benefits package that includes 100% employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance; 3% automatic contribution and a 3% employer match on 401(k) contributions; pre-tax transportation benefits; and paid holiday, vacation, sick, and volunteer time off.
How to Apply: Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include “CFO” in the subject line.
The Sentry is a project of New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
To center the safety and well-being of its employees, New Venture Fund requires that any employee who is required to conduct in-person activities for their job must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 within four weeks of their start date. This position may require candidates to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Accommodations may be sought and approved in accordance with the law by contacting human resources at HR@newventurefund.org.