Position: General Counsel, The Sentry
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Part-time, Non-exempt
Reports to: Chief of Staff, The Sentry
Position Summary: The General Counsel oversees the legal issues and relevant legal operations of The Sentry. The General Counsel reports to the Chief of Staff and the co-Founder and is responsible for ensuring both are apprised of ongoing risks and and directly involved in decision-making; the General Counsel works closely with the entire senior management team. The General Counsel handles legal issues directly as well as coordinates and manages advice and assistance from outside counsel.
In the future, it is expected that the incumbent will advise on the legal issues attendant to the evolution of the organizational structure toward a single, stand-alone organization as well as an organization with a more formal presence outside of the United States.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks:
– Review of Sentry publications for potential legal risks and coordination of legal processes associated with report publication
– Management of ongoing legal issues, including those arising with respect to:
Media law and defamation; Employment; Privacy; Insurance; Other issues associated with nonprofit management
– Management of pre-litigation and litigation processes
– Coordination of relationships with external counsel
– Responsibility for review of contracts and other legal documents
– Contribute to the process of migrating the organization from a fiscally-sponsored project into a single, stand-alone organization and expansion of geographic presence
Required Skills and Experience:
– Excellent writing, editing, and presentation skills
– Law degree and relevant professional legal experience, including with nonprofit organizations or entities involved in investigations
– Experience engaging with dynamic and evolving teams
– Experience managing and evaluating complex legal and security issues, including in potential crisis situations
– Able to maintain patience and presence in fast-moving environment
Preferred Substantive Knowledge and Experience:
– Knowledge of key issues and concepts related to corruption, illicit finance, and conflict
– Knowledge of legal issues related to the conduct and publication of investigations, including defamation, insurance, and related issues
– Knowledge of legal systems outside the United States
To apply, submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “General Counsel” in the subject line of your email.
The Sentry is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding, and enables each of us to realize our potential. The Sentry’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.