Status: Part-time/Full-time (flexible)
Reports to: Executive Director
The Senior Legal Counsel provides advice and direction on all legal matters affecting the operations of The Sentry and is responsible for ensuring that senior management are apprised of ongoing legal risks. The Senior Legal Counsel handles legal issues directly and when appropriate coordinates and manages advice and assistance from outside counsel.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks:
– Review of Sentry publications for potential legal risks and coordination of legal processes associated with report publication, including seeking advice from outside counsel when appropriate.
– Management of legal issues, including those arising with respect to:
– Media law and defamation;
– Intellectual Property; and
– Other issues associated with nonprofit management.
– Management of pre-litigation and litigation processes.
– Coordination of relationships with external counsel.
– Responsibility for review of contracts and other legal documents and the development of standard contractual documents and policies.
– Development and provision of guidance and training for staff and management on The Sentry’s policies and procedures.
Required Skills and Experience:
– Law degree and at least six years relevant professional legal experience, preferably with nonprofit organizations or in a nonprofit practice at a law firm.
– Admitted to practice law in a jurisdiction of the United States.
– Excellent writing, editing, and presentation skills.
– Experience engaging with dynamic and evolving teams.
– Experience managing and evaluating complex legal and security issues, including in potential crisis situations.
– Ability to swiftly and effectively analyze legal risks, and make a sound but pragmatic recommendations.
– Commitment to working collaboratively across teams to deliver on The Sentry’s mission.
– Able to maintain patience and presence in fast-moving environment.
– Problem-solving attitude.
– Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to The Sentry’s mission.
– Commitment to creating an inclusive, equal, and diverse workplace
– Fluent written and spoken English.
Preferred Substantive Knowledge and Experience:
– Knowledge of legal issues related to the conduct and publication of investigations, including defamation, insurance, and related issues.
– Experience advising on a compliance program for US government funding.
– Understanding of illicit finance and corruption.
– Knowledge of legal systems outside the United States.
Salary Range: $120 – $180
Benefits: Comprehensive benefits package that includes 100% employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance; 3% automatic contribution and a 3% employer match on 401(k) contributions; pre-tax transportation benefits; and paid holiday, vacation, sick, and volunteer time off.
To apply: Submit a resume and cover letter to [email protected] Please include “Senior Legal Counsel” in the subject line of your email.
Hiring Statement: The Sentry is a project of New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
COVID-19 Policy: To center the safety and well-being of its employees, New Venture Fund requires that any employee who is required to conduct in-person activities for their job must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 within four weeks of their start date. This position may require candidates to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Accommodations may be sought and approved in accordance with the law by contacting human resources at [email protected]
About The Sentry: The Sentry is an investigative and policy organization that seeks to disable multinational predatory networks that benefit from violent conflict, repression, and kleptocracy.
Pull back the curtain on wars, mass atrocities, and other human rights abuses, and you’ll find grand corruption and unchecked greed. These tragedies persist because the perpetrators rarely face meaningful consequences. The Sentry aims to alter the warped incentive structures that continually undermine peace and good governance. Our investigations follow the money as it is laundered from war zones to financial centers around the world. We provide evidence and strategies for governments, banks, and law enforcement to hold the perpetrators and enablers of violence and corruption to account. These efforts provide new leverage for human rights, peace, and anti-corruption efforts.
Launched in 2016, The Sentry produces hard-hitting investigative reports and dossiers on individuals and entities connected to grand corruption and violence. We advocate for the use of tools of financial and legal pressure, including anti-money laundering and illicit finance measures, targeted network sanctions, criminal prosecutions, compliance actions by banks and other private companies, and asset recovery. As a result of our work, money laundering routes have been exposed and shut down, assets have been frozen, travel has been banned, and corrupt networks have been cut off from the international financial system. Through strategic partnerships with governments, global banks, and other private and public organizations, The Sentry has succeeded in creating real consequences for many of the officials and commercial actors perpetuating and profiting from war, mass atrocities, and other human rights abuses.