Position: Senior Specialist, Illicit Finance Policy (Libya)
Location: Can be remote
Status: Part-Time or Full-Time
Reports to: Director of Illicit Finance Policy
Position Summary: The Senior Specialist will serve as a Libya-focused corruption and illicit finance lead, working closely with the illicit finance policy team based in New York, Washington, DC, London, Berlin and Tokyo. The Senior Specialist will lead the organization’s efforts on the strategic use of various targeted financial pressures to disrupt and ultimately dismantle the kleptocratic networks and illicit financial flows that that undermine peace, good governance, and human rights in Libya.
The Senior Specialist is expected to have a thorough understanding of the range of tools of financial pressure such as network sanctions, anti-money laundering measures, and asset recovery procedures, and how they can be deployed to alter the incentive structure of those benefitting from atrocities and grand corruption in Libya.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks:
– Working closely with colleagues and The Sentry’s Co-Founder, formulate original policy recommendations that disrupt the financing of atrocities in and the laundering of corruption proceeds from Libya.
– Build relationships and closely engage policymakers, regulators, law enforcement, financial institutions, and other private sector and civil society actors across all relevant jurisdictions to encourage adoption of financial tools of pressure.
– Expand The Sentry’s network of contacts within the policy and nonprofit community, including with Libyan in-country and diaspora groups.
– Provide strategic analysis on corruption and state capture in Libya, and serve as an in-house expert and resource for colleagues on the policy tools available to create change.
– Represent The Sentry in the media through radio, print, and TV interviews.
– Co-author, author, and edit op-eds, memos, reports, and other products.
– Develop opportunities to share The Sentry’s findings and policy positions by participating in or hosting events and panels.
– Collaborate with the Development team on fundraising opportunities; review fundraising materials and reports to donors.
Required Skills and Experience:
– Minimum 3 years direct experience and overall demonstrated expertise related to Libya/MENA region.
– Excellent writing, editing, and presentation skills, including attention to detail.
– In-depth knowledge of Libya and its political economy.
– In-depth understanding of issues surrounding corruption and illicit financial flows in Libya, including through human trafficking, smuggling of petroleum and/or petroleum products, and military control of revenue streams.
– Knowledge of and experience on key issues and concepts related to financial tools of pressure.
– Demonstrated experience engaging policymakers and civil society in the United States, Europe, and the MENA region.
– Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred, in a relevant field (International Relations, Political Science, International Development, International Security, etc).
– Experience engaging with dynamic and evolving teams.
– Experience managing and evaluating complex security issues, including in potential crisis situations.
– Able to maintain patience and presence in fast-moving environment.
– Fluency in Arabic.
To apply, submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Libya Senior Specialist” in the subject line of your email.
The Sentry is a strategic partner of the Enough Project, which is a project of New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining exceptional people and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding, and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
About the organization:
The Sentry is an investigative and policy organization that seeks to disable multinational predatory networks that benefit from violent conflict, repression, and kleptocracy.
Pull back the curtain on wars, mass atrocities, and other human rights abuses, and you’ll find grand corruption and unchecked greed. These tragedies persist because the perpetrators rarely face meaningful consequences. The Sentry aims to alter the warped incentive structures that continually undermine peace and good governance. Our investigations follow the money as it is laundered from war zones to financial centers around the world. We provide evidence and strategies for governments, banks, and law enforcement to hold the perpetrators and enablers of violence and corruption to account. These efforts provide new leverage for human rights, peace, and anti-corruption efforts.
Launched in 2016, The Sentry produces hard-hitting investigative reports and dossiers on individuals and entities connected to grand corruption and violence. We advocate for the use of tools of financial and legal pressure, including anti-money laundering and illicit finance measures, targeted network sanctions, criminal prosecutions, compliance actions by banks and other private companies, and asset recovery. As a result of our work, money laundering routes have been exposed and shut down, assets have been frozen, travel has been banned, and corrupt networks have been cut off from the international financial system. Through strategic partnerships with governments, global banks, and other private and public organizations, The Sentry has succeeded in creating real consequences for many of the officials and commercial actors perpetuating and profiting from war, mass atrocities, and other human rights abuses.
Co-founded by George Clooney and John Prendergast, The Sentry is a strategic partner of the Clooney Foundation for Justice.